Sunday, October 3, 2010

Vampire Weekend

The band, not to be confused with anything Edward.

So, AJ and I discovered we liked the band Vampire Weekend pretty much the week after they came to Salt Lake. We were discouraged. But then a few days later AJ comes up to me at work and says that they are playing in Vegas the end of the month and we could do the entire trip under $200. What else could I do but say yes.

So we flew down Wednesday afternoon after work. I love short flights. We checked into our hotel The Imperial Palace (there was a reason our room was only $30). We ate at Serendipity 3 (like the one from the film but in Vegas) since we tried to go there last time we were in town but they were closed. Our waiter literally winked after every sentence. I guess he was really working for his tip, but it was just annoying. We got dessert first, which was wise since it was huge. Then we hoped on the bus to The Palms for the concert.

Vegas really knows how to put on shows. Every seat in the house had an unobstructed view and the seats were leather. Friendly ushers to show you the way and immaculate high end bathrooms. We had two opening acts The Very Best and Beach House. Then it was time for Vampire Weekend. They are great live. Chris Baio is a hoot to watch dancing while playing bass guitar. I love their up beat music and it makes me smile. I bet when they first started out finishing up at Columbia University their parents thought, “That is what you want to do after I spent all that money on your education?” I’m glad they did because it was worth the investment.

The next day we flew home. In fact our shuttle bus driver could not believe we didn’t have any luggage with us other than a backpack size bags. Don’t other people make short trips to Vegas like us? I would go down for a show again.

No comments:

Post a Comment