Sunday, May 23, 2010

Robin Hood

Maybe it is because I go to films with low expectations that I leave the theater really enjoying them. The critics didn’t love the film, but I have to say it was one of the better Robin Hoods. As with all films lately it goes back to the beginning of the legend. There are so many interpretations of Robin Hood and I am aware of a few of them so I was willing to follow the story as the writers envisioned the tale and enjoy it. The action scenes were quite impressive and the soundtrack very moving. There are even some funny lines sprinkled through out the film that are priceless.

I also enjoyed the closing credits. I am one of those rare people who like to stay and read all the credits if I am able to. You learn so many interesting facts. Anyways, the illustrated graphics that went with the closing credits continued the feel of medieval storytelling as if someone just read to you a great adventure.

I am not a Russell Crowe fan, but I think he did an excellent job. Cate Blanchett played a strong Marion who took responsibility for her people and didn’t need a man to fight for her. Which is refreshing from other the Robin Hood films. I was surprised to see William Hurt in the film and he too did very well. Matthew Macfadyen played the Sheriff, though it was very minor, which in the end was good because he will forever be Mr. Darcy in my mind.

I want to give a nod to Max von Sydow, who played Sir Walter Loxely and Eileen Atkins, who played Eleanor of Aquitaine. I’m glad that Hollywood is going back to how it was in the 30s and 40s that some very strong characters were played by a mature actor. The film would not have had the same feeling without Max von Sydow.

When it comes down to all the Robin Hood films I have seen (Disney's Robin Hood, The Adventures of Robin Hood, Robin Hood Prince of Thieves, etc) I enjoyed this one the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment