Thursday, May 20, 2010

Happy Birthday James Stewart

Today James Stewart, affectionately known as Jimmy, would have been 102. If all you know of him is “It’s a Wonderful Life” let me suggest two films of his that I really enjoy and might make you want to stop and watch another film of his when you see it while flipping through the channels.

Rear Window (1954)
Professional photographer Jeff confined to his New York apartment with a broken leg spends his time looking out of the window observing the neighbors. He begins to suspect that a man across the courtyard may have murdered his wife.

My Thoughts: One of my favorite Alfred Hitchcock films, that has a great cast- Grace Kelly, Thelma Ritter (who I think is a wonderful character actor), and even Raymond Burr (that is Perry Mason to you).

Mr. Hobbs Takes a Vacation (1962)
Mr. Hobbs longs for a vacation alone with his wife away from his long commute into work and his dysfunctional family. His wife longs for a family get-together. Of course the wife wins and off to the beach with the family they go.

My Thoughts: Laugh out loud funny. I particularly love the dance scene with Jimmy drumming up dance partners for his daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment