Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Dr Who

Yes, I am a nerd. I love watching Dr. Who (and living in a basement has nothing to do with it either). I should say I love watching David Tennant play Dr. Who. When I was a child and my father would watch the old Dr. Who episodes and I saw a man with crazy hair fighting aliens that look like they were created out of materials from the janitors closet, I thought I would never sit down to an episode. Then one day my sister was watching the episode “The Girl in the Fireplace” and I saw this quirky man in a sharp stripped suit and converse sneakers and my entire opinion of the show changed. I started watching Dr. Who every Saturday night on PBS.

The show still has the British feel like you are on set and I still laugh at some of the aliens but there are some great episodes. My favorite is “Blink.” Watch it late at night and you will never look at a statue a same way again. Another good one is “The Shakespeare Code” when the Dr travels back in time and meets Shakespeare. The show was perfect for Tennant since he was in the Royal Shakespeare Company.

Then this past Saturday night, David Tennant said farewell to his role of Dr. Who. The episode was touching. It brought tears to eyes (and if you know me that is a feat.) His final words of “I don’t want to go” says it all. But as you know the Dr. can regenerate and so we have a new guy to follow in the adventures, but I thought the way they wrote the script as if the Dr. was dying since he was leaving one life behind made it seem more real and acceptable and not just having a new face.

I won’t say anymore because I don’t want to share spoilers. But I have to put in a bit for Timothy Dalton who did a perfect job as the ruler of the Time Lords. And I loved the Star Wars feel in two scenes and when you see it, you will know what I mean you can not miss them.

Good luck to Tennant on his new adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment