Wednesday, December 22, 2010

White Christmas

No, this post has nothing to do with the weather. Every year as part of our Christmas gift my parents treat my oldest sister and I to a Christmas performance. This year we went and saw White Christmas at the University of Utah’s Pioneer Theater.

The film, White Christmas (1954) starring Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye is one of my favorite holiday films that I watch every year. So I pretty much know the film by heart and love it. But I still enjoyed the play. The sets were top notch, the choreography fun (I do love tap dancing), and the actors did a descent job (a nod to Tally and Kaitlyn). The script was a little different and so were the characters but I kept an open mind. I’m so glad that they kept the “Sisters” routine that the guys perform it’s one of my favorite scenes.

Just a few observations: John Shuman who played Ezekiel did a great interpretation of Pa Kettle. Mary Driggs who played Martha was more Ethel Merman than Mary Wickes but the character worked. I also thought it was interesting that they threw in “I love the Piano” which is from another Irving Berlin film Easter Parade.

I’m glad we have this new family tradition now that we are older it always helps me get into the Christmas spirit. Plus, we stopped off at Baskin Robbins for a nutty coconut shake afterwards. I do love those shakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment