Friday, December 10, 2010

The Tourist

The film felt like an Alfred Hitchcock film starring Cary Grant with Jean Louis doing costumes. To those who may not understand that compliment, let me explain. A light hearted suspense dealing with a mistaken identity of an average American man, running from the law and the men out to kill him but does it all for the love a well dress woman. So, very much like North by Northwest with a twist.

I never understood why guys find Angelina Jolie attractive but when she is dressed with class and style as in this film, I finally get it. Just a note on her wardrobe, when the film starts out she is wearing white, then slips into grey, ending the film wearing black. (Costume designer Colleen Atwood deserves a nod for that). As for Johnny, I could have done without the goatee. But even though he may not have looked good (sorry the last time I found him attractive was when I was a kid watching 21 Jump Street), he did a good job playing the awkward reserved man in love spurting out the funny lines while in danger.

I enjoyed Paul Bettany’s character and can I just say it’s amazing what a well tailored suit can do for a man. And kudos for casting Timothy Dalton as head of Scotland Yard, he fit the role perfectly. Rufus Sewell role, though minor, was also well done. The film was enjoyable. It was funny, had action, a little romance, beautiful scenery and a great cast. I highly recommend it. Plus they threw in a Muse song in the closing credits for good measure.

No comments:

Post a Comment